The Manual of Style of this wiki aims to provide all needed information on what this wiki expects from all editors when editing as well as setting a consistent writing style for all wiki articles. All editors are responsible for knowing and fully understanding this manual. Not editing accordingly to this manual may result in punishments issued to your account according to our rules.
As a reminder:
- All articles need to follow our policies as well.
- You are responsible for your additions to your wiki. If they don’t meet the standards listed below, the page may be moved or deleted.
- Personal opinions are not factual information and may not be added to the wiki.
Spelling and grammar
- When editing, please use British English.
- Always use full sentences and capitalise the beginning of each sentence. Make sure to use the appropriate punctuation.
- Properly capitalise words and avoid unnecessary capitalisation.
- Use the long version of words like "it's" and "wouldn't" (e.g. "it is" instead of "it's", "would not" instead of "wouldn't").
- Link pages when needed.
- When using dates in text, use the day month year format.
- Acceptable formats:
- 17 January 2021
- 17th January 2021
- Winter 2021
- Q1 2021
- Unacceptable formats:
- January 17, 2021
- Acceptable formats:
- Maintain a neutral and objective voice when writing articles.
- Understand the words you use in articles.
- Use the third-person perspective when editing.
- Use words like “player” or “user” instead of “you”.
- Use the name of the group when referring to a role.
- Use they/them pronouns if you do not know the gender of the person you are writing about.
- Never use words like “ugly” or “weird”, use words like “unique” instead.
Trivia sections should contain little-known information about the subject of the article. They should not contain obvious, subjective, or untrue information, and they should not restate what was already covered in the article. They are still to be held up to the same standards as other information on the wiki.
- The Class 68 is the only train that requires experience to purchase.
- Although both the Class 68 and the Class 43 have the same Mark 3 coaches, the Class 43 ones feature PIS screens, but those on the Class 68 don’t.
- As of V1.7, R003 is bugged due to the fact that you get despawned once you pass Benton.
- The Class 68 is a locomotive. - restates the obvious
- The Class 43 is different to the Class 68. - obvious fact
- The Class 458 just looks weird. - subjective
- The door sounds of this train are weird. - subjective
- Don't drive R003 because it's now bad and broken. - subjective
- R003 is the third route. - obvious fact
On this wiki, we have different infoboxes for different aspects of the game.
- All operators have to use the Template:Infobox operator infobox.
- All routes have to use the Template:Infobox line infobox.
- All buildings (including depots and sidings) have to use the Template:Infobox building infobox.
- All stations have to use the Template:Infobox station template.
- All ranks have to use the Template:Infobox rank template.
- All roles have to use the Template:Infobox role template.
- All trains have to use the Template:Infobox train template.
- All zones have to use the Template:Infobox zone template.
- All pages about people have to use the Template:Infobox person template.
- All event and update pages have to use the Template:Infobox event template.
For easier navigation, all pages relating to updates, ranks, zones, depots, sidings, operators (including their routes and trains) and stations have to use the Template:Network navigation box at the bottom of the page. Depending on what page this is being used on, different parameters have to be entered. It is highly recommended to look at the documentation of this template before use.
To inform users about the status of a specific thing on a page or feature, there are various notices, which can be added directly under the heading of the subject.
- Template:Cancelled - If a (planned) feature is cancelled (like TramLink), add this template directly under the heading of the subject.
- Template:Current Event - If the page (or section of the page) is about an event that is currently happening, add this template.
- Template:Deletion - If you think a page/section should be deleted because it breaks any rules, add this template to the top of the page/section with a reason for the deletion.
- Template:DeletionProposal - If you think a page/section should be deleted but it does not need speedy deletion because it does not break any rules, add this template to the top of the page/section with a reason for the deletion proposal.
- Template:Disambig - In case a term is used for more than one thing (for example Benton Bridge - this term can refer to the station or to the bridge itself), a disambiguation page should be created with this template being at the top of the page.
- Template:Former Features - For features, which were once present but have been removed with reference left, this template should be directly under the heading of the subject.
- Template:Main - Using this template, signify that a section has got a full article with more information regarding the same topic.
- Template:Outdated - Using this template, signify that an article or a section is no longer up-to-date. Please make sure to remove the template once the article is no longer outdated.
- Template:Removed Features - For features, which were once present but have been removed (like Previous Generation trains), this template should be directly under the heading of the subject.
- Template:See also - Using this template, signify that there is an article with more information regarding a similar topic.
- Template:Speculated - Any features that are unconfirmed but do have reference to them in official media should receive this template.
- Template:Stub - In case an article or section misses information, this template is to be added to the page/section which needs more information.
- Template:Upcoming - Any features sneak peeked by the developers, however not released yet, should receive this template directly under the heading of the subject.
The notices below signify the status of applications. They are used on rank pages as well as the Applications page.
- Template:ApplicationResults - Signifying that an application is closed, however results are expected to come out soon.
- Template:ApplicationClosed - Any applications closed with results being out should receive this template.
- Template:ApplicationUnavailable - This template signifies that a rank does not have applications.
- Template:ApplicationOpen - If an application is open, this template should be added. Please also add text below saying when the application closes.
- Template:ApplicationRestricted - If an application is not available to the public, but for Supervisors and/or above, add this template.
Events and leaks
Pages about events in both the game and the community are to be kept up with all aforementioned rules. Pages about events in the community should additionally mention the community's reaction, as well as the reaction of the game's staff, if any. Pages about leaks are to be kept up to the same standards as pages about events.
- YouTubers must at least have 500 subscribers and at least have 100,000 views on their channel.
- Streamers must at least have 250 followers/subscribers.
- For streamers on YouTube, the rules for YouTubers apply instead.
- For both groups, a minimum amount of videos/streams relating to SCR has been set to five (5).
(Former) Staff members
- The person must be a (former) Manager, Developer or Director.
- If not part of the aforementioned groups, they must be a well-known Supervisor. This can include Supervisors who are acknowledged for their long time as a staff member, a Supervisor known for a meme, or similar.
- Any other person may have a page dedicated to them if they are well-known, even outside their direct community. They must be a well-known member of the general SCR community.
List of rules
The following rules are associated with this policy:
- Not editing according to the Manual of Style
- Creating duplicate, useless or irrelevant pages
- Replacing parts of a page with nonsense
- Edit farming
- Vandalism on one page
- Vandalism on two or more pages