- This page is about the rank in the SCR group. For the in-game role, see Signaller (Role).
Signaller, more commonly referred as [SG], is a Member rank. Signallers receive access to the Stepford ROC, Llyn ROC and signal boxes, where they may control signals around the network on the Signalling Desks. This is the highest Members rank.
To obtain this rank
The following is required in order to apply for this rank:
- Applicants need to be 13 years old or older to apply for Signaller in the SCR Official Discord when it opens. This is due to Discord's Terms of Service.
- Applicants need to be in the SCR Official Discord server and be a Guard in the official SCR Roblox group.
- Applicants also have the chance to become a Signaller if they are a Supervisor. However, they still have to complete the training.
Here are the steps to apply for this rank:
- Applicants must fill out a Signaller application form, which can be found in #application-forms (visible to Qualified Drivers or above) in the SCR Official Discord server. The opening and closing of the application are handled at the discretion of the Signaller Managers.
- Once an applicant has passed the application and becomes a Trainee Signaller, they may take part in the Signaller Training Programme.
- Trainees will first receive access to the Signalling Booklet, covering all rules and guidelines of the signaller tasks. Before the September 2021 batch of Signallers, Trainee Signallers would have had to pass a Theory Assessment before progressing to the next stage of the programme.[note 1]
- Next, trainees will take part in a practical training, where they will be given hands-on chance to learn and practice signalling under supervision and guidance.
- At the end of the training programme, trainees will take part in an assessment, where they have to control signals in a public server on their own. If they pass this final exam, they will officially become a Signaller.
NOTE: This will be changed when Training 2.0 for Signaller is introduced.
Department Manager & Supervisor
The Signaller Manager is the Manager of the Signaller rank, and are authorised to open and close Signaller applications when felt needed, They are also in charge of making sure that Trainee Signallers are trained up, and the Signalling department is running smoothly.
Signallers are given a small number of commands to help deal with situations they may come across. However, they are still Members and must request permissions from a Senior Signaller, Mobile Operations Supervisor, Manager or Director to use the mute or kick command. The commands they receive can be found on the Commands page.
- Try to not make small errors and mistakes when signalling, as they can have a knock-on effect on the zone.
- Signallers must maintain good communication with Drivers at all times in order to signal effectively.
- Try not to cause minor delays while signalling, as drivers will become annoyed. Signallers should also follow the priority matrix when signalling.
- Abusing admin commands and muting/kicking without permission from Senior Signallers or above is prohibited.
- Causing major delays and delibrately holding trains without reason is prohibited.
- Trolling, trespassing, parkour, train-surfing and disrespectful behaviour to anyone is not tolerated.
- Use the signal desk appropriately.
- Follow all other rules in other roles when driving, dispatching and guarding.
Signallers were originally called Controllers before The Big Update and at time there were about only 8 people who had this rank.
On 28 December 2017, there was a public Controller training which boosted the number of controllers from 8 to about 20.
The signalling programme had a complete rewrite in The Big Update, adding an application process and three stages of training as requirements.
When V1.0 was announced a small group of Signallers were trained up on the new signalling system before the public release. This ensured there were Signallers able to staff the Day One servers when The Big Update was released.
The first batch of Senior Signallers were recruited as V1.0 was released. This allowed them to be trained up and to start training the second signalling cohort reducing pressure on the Control Centre Managers (now Signaller Managers).
Signaller training program enrollment history
|Batch||Total Applicants||Total Accepted Applicants||Acceptance Rate|
|Sometime in V1.1||246||90||36%|
- Players who passed the Signaller application will receive the 'Trainee Signallers' role in the SCR Official Discord Server. Players who pass the training will be promoted, while the tag can be removed when the trainees fail or do not pass before the training batch is closed. However, in the Roblox group, 'Trainee Signallers' are not mentioned and thus remain in the Guard rank until becoming a qualified Signaller and receiving the Signaller rank in the group.
- Trainee signallers can attend Signaller trainings and assessments in order to get promoted and become an official Signaller. Usually most Trainee Signallers will pass the assessment and get promoted. Very few have failed trainings, most often they are removed for not attending at the end of their completion deadline. Unless Signallers commit a major offense (such as admin abuse), they are most likely not demoted and rather are issued strikes/warnings.
- Before Low Ranks were changed to Members, some considered this rank a Middle Rank in the community because they have some privileges of Supervisors. However, according to Innovations Director BanTech, they were never considered a Middle Rank.
- Until May 2020, Dispatchers were allowed to apply for this rank, because Guards were not added yet.
- In the batch of May 2020, Dispatchers were allowed to apply for this rank, even though Guards were already added.
- This is because at that time, V1.5 had just released and the Guard rank was highly popular and hyped, leading to a serious shortage of Guard training sessions due to an extremely high demand. As a result, many qualified Dispatchers are unable to get trained to be Guards, and therefore ineligible to apply for Signaller. Eventually, the Head of Network Signalling (now Signaller Manager) decided to allow Dispatchers to apply for Signaller for this batch only to eliminate the above issue.
- This is the only rank in the Members group ranks which requires applications.
- This is the only rank in the Members group ranks to have some of the SCR Discord BoostClub benefits, such as Screen-sharing permissions (Go Live). This also applies to all Supervisors and above.
- With the release of a sneak peek of Training 2.0 in May 2020, some people speculated that Signaller applications will not reopen until Training 2.0 releases. However, Signaller applications did open at the same month after the release of said sneak peek. The release date of Training 2.0 is also unclear, with Innovations Director BanTech stating that it will be rolled out to Qualified Driver, Dispatcher, and Guard training before later being available for Guards to train to Signaller using it. Later in 2021, Engagement Manager (now Community Manager) tjh44 had once said that Signaller applications will not open again until the Training 2.0 update for Signallers is released.
- But later on 11th September 2021, traditional Signaller application via Discord were opened again for 2 days. In the respective announcement, Community Director Doodgewoonbas said that traditional Signaller apps might be opened briefly for another few times until the new training system for Signallers is finished, likely due to delays in implementing the new training system. Unlike previous batches, these applications will only be open for around 24-48 hours, to prevent high volumes and overwhelming the signalling department.
- In the future, the requirement of being 13+ and be in the SCR Discord Server will be removed when Training System 2.0 for signallers is introduced, as the Signalling application and training process will be fully conducted in-game, and will no longer involve any third-party platforms (i.e. Google Forms, Google Drive and Discord). Also, there will be training servers for Signallers, just like other trainings.
- As of V1.7.2, a new Signaller Training Academy has been added at Llyn-by-the-Sea, right below The Lounge. It has never been put to use for trainings, but it is speculated that it might be used for Signaller Training 2.0 in the future.
- According to Innovations Director BanTech, the signalling system will receive another rework soon as part of the currently delayed Training 2.0 upgrade for Signallers, a system to enable training new signallers with simulated traffic instead with real trains running will also be created for the signalling system.
- Previously, Signallers who were found leaving the SCR Discord Server will have their Signaller rank revoked. This was changed on 7th January 2021, in which Signallers who left the Discord Server can still keep their Signaller rank.
- However, such players are not allowed to use their mute or kick commands. In addition, Signallers who are banned from the SCR Discord Server will still have their rank revoked.
- Since 11 September 2021, the theory test is no longer a separate test, although Signaller Training 2.0 has never been officially released. Instead, the theory quiz is partially integrated to the Signaller Application Form.